Monday, December 3, 2012

Welcome!

Welcome to my Running blog!

I started my running journey in January 2012 and although I am new to the running community I have accomplished more goals in the last year than I ever thought possible.  I still have a lot to learn but am loving my new life as a runner!

January 2012 I set what seemed to be an unattainable goal:  Run the 2012 Chicago Marathon.

That's not an unattainable goal, you say!  Well, for me and most of the people who knew me, it was!  People in my own family were doubting my goal all the way up until that morning of the race!  I couldn't even walk a mile in January 2012.  I was unhealthy, overweight, and had some terrible habits! I skipped over the 5K, 10K, and half and went straight for the full marathon.  I know, it was insane!  But I needed something insane to fuel me!

The transformation of my body has been quite crazy.  Watching fat leave, muscles form, definition begin, and feeling better in daily life.  Not getting sick and being healthy is pretty awesome!

I set my mind, started a program, changed my eating habits, surrounded myself with better runners and athletes, started training, and began to hit milestone after milestone.  I have to say, hitting new milestones is one of the most exciting feelings in the world!  No one can take that feeling away!

It wasn't until May that the Lord started speaking to me on my runs.  As my distances got longer my reliance on the Lord became greater.  It was in my 9 mile milestone, I knew I could NOT do this in my own strength.  That I needed Him more than ever.  If I was going to successfully complete every milestone and cross the finish line, I needed Him and His strength.

It's funny how the Lord teaches me life lessons.  This lesson has been all about shutting up and listening.  I'm a terrible listener, I love talking, sharing my opinion, my thoughts, me, me, me.  BUT when it comes to running, I can't get a word in with the Lord.  He speaks in a gentle voice and I listen.  What He speaks to me on my runs is so important.  It is in my daily miles that He convicts, exposes, reveals, encourages, inspires, and plants seeds.

In September the Lord placed this blog and a running group on my heart.  I run with two amazing girls, Erin and Courtney!  They are such a blessing and I truly cherish their friendship.  It's so exciting watching them set goals and hit milestones.  They run with me at least 3 if not 5 days a week!  We are always looking for new friends to run with!

Many assumed after the Chicago Marathon I would stop running but I have a new love and respect for running.  It is something I truly look forward to.  I won't lie, there are days my alarm goes off and it takes everything in me to get up... but after I run, I am so happy I did!

Completed Races:
  1. 2012 Chicago Marathon - October 7, 2012
  2. 10K Turkey Day Race @ Lifetime Fitness - November 22, 2012



Upcoming Races:
  1. March 17, 2013 - Mini Heart Half Marathon 
  2. May 5, 2013 - Flying Pig Marathon

I'm not sure the entire vision for this blog yet but I do know the Lord has placed it on my heart to begin!

The rest of December is going to be light, fun running!  I'm going to rest my body and stick to lower miles and enjoy shorter distances.

January 1st kicks off my 18 week marathon training again and this time around will be a bit more intense.  I've got a lot of hill training and muscle building ahead of me as the Flying Pig is one of the most difficult marathons in the US (due to hills).

I hope you decide to stick around and see the fun and exciting things that can happen when you let go and run!  You can do it!

So welcome to my running blog.  I am very excited to share with you, encourage and be encouraged, and to hear your thoughts!



No comments:

Post a Comment