Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Cookie Goodness!

Because of Savannah's food allergies, baking traditions have been non-existant these last 4 years.  It's been hard for me because I absolutely LOVE baking and the holidays are no exception.  In an effort to create some sort of tradition, we've become known for our cupcake making!  Over the years, cupcakes have really been the only thing we could make and although Savannah LOVES cupcakes... there's only so many holidays cupcakes will suffice ;)

You can't deny it, at Christmas there's just something about homemade cut-out cookies.  Working all day in the kitchen, flour everywhere, picking out the shapes for your cookies, finding the best recipes, and icing and decorating them beautifully.  So many fun memories are created in the kitchen.

Back in November, Savannah went for her yearly check-up with her allergist.  He told us she should be growing out of her dairy allergy and was cleared to try pizza!  Out of everything we eat, pizza is definitely the one thing Savannah has always wanted to try!  So we were VERY excited to introduce her to pizza!  Of course she LOVED it and has had it 4 times now.  From homemade, Larosas, Chuck-e-cheese, and Donatos... Savannah is a pizza lover!

If you're a parent of a child with a life-threatening allergy, you know the anxieties that come with introducing new foods and trying new things.  Over the last few years the Lord has had to remind me of a few things 1) He can heal her and 2) I am not in control.  No matter how hard I try to control her surroundings, He ultimately has her life in His hands.  That's been a very tough lesson but in return, He's blessed Allan and I with a feeling of freedom.

We continue to use wisdom but when it comes to being in public places but we are learning the importance of trusting Him with her life.  As we introduced pizza, there was some fear.  I had all of her meds on me ready for a reaction but she had none.  It was a great time of rejoicing!

So here we are... Christmas time and the LAST thing I want to do is make cupcakes with Savannah.  I wanted her to experience the mess and time of cut-out cookies!  As we all know, cut out cookies contain at least 2 sticks of butter.  Savannah has a delicious dairy-free butter but I'd never made homemade cut-outs with it and that stuff is SO EXPENSIVE the last thing I wanted to do was waste an entire container of it.

This may seem silly but I decided to try a recipe with butter.  My friend Katie made these INSANELY AMAZING cut-out cookies for her son's 2nd birthday... so I snagged that recipe from her.  Here it is, make them!  This has to be not only the easiest recipe but the most delicious- you will eat all of them!

http://iambaker.net/christmas-cookies-cookie-recipe/


I've also always envied those moms that could make that hard icing, with the outline, that's all shiny!  Guess what?!  It's SO EASY to do and absolutely yummy!

http://iambaker.net/sugar-cookie-decorating-101/

Ok, so Savannah and I mixed all the ingredients and started rolling it out...  I knew I would be able to tell immediately if Savannah was going to be able to eat them because with the dairy allergy, she breaks out in hives wherever it touches her.

As we rolled out the dough, started putting our cookie cutters on it, and touching it... she had no reaction - Other than complete awe in how AWESOME cut-out cookies are to make :)

As she held her very first cut-out she said; "Mom, this is AMAZING!"  Yup, she may be a spitting image of her father but she's totally my kid!

PRAISE THE LORD!  She was touching the dough with no reaction to the 2.5 sticks of butter... yup, 2.5 sticks of butter!  This is why I run folks...

Icing time... the icing is homemade as well, so it clearly has milk in it.  I was so nervous, as awesome as the cookie dough is, the icing makes them.  And it's always so fun to lick it off your fingers and test the cookies while you're decorating!


As we iced and decorated she was licking her fingers, sneaking bites from "bad" cookies, and having a blast.  It didn't even phase her!  Savannah not only baked but ATE (without any reaction) cookies that had butter and milk in them!


I am so thankful for the Lord and His healing!  He is so worthy to be praised, not just for this miracle but for His mercies that He grants in my life daily.

I know this is just the beginning of Savannah's testimony of healing from her Heavenly Father!  He is real, He is our healer, He is faithful!  I do not know when but I believe she will be 100% healed of her life-threatening peanut allergy!  We faithfully pray and seek Him for her complete healing.  We are thankful for her health, that she is growing, learning, and turning into such a sweet and sensitive little girl.

This Christmas,  I am so thankful for the memories of our first mother-daughter Christmas cookie night!

I am thankful for His healing, His provision, and His unconditional love - 
even though I do not deserve it!  

-----

What are your favorite holiday traditions?

Has the Lord healed you?  If so, what from?

What are you thankful for this Christmas?



No comments:

Post a Comment