Saturday, December 22, 2012

Cold runs...

This morning while I was drinking my coffee all I could think about was logging a longer distance today.  This month I've taken a break from distances over 8 miles to allow my body rest before marathon training starts back up in January.  It was the strangest feeling but I was excited to hit the road for a long run!

Instead of mapping out my route, I decided to listen to my body and go...  I'm pretty familiar with the roads now that I've been running them a year and can tell approximately what mile I'm at.  You're going to think I'm absolutely crazy but this weather today... 33 degrees, low wind, and sunshine may be my favorite weather!  I love running in the cold weather!  That first mile can be a bit brisk but by the time I'm at 2 miles, I'm taking the gloves off and unzipping that first layer!

Buckeye Running Company (in Mason) has some awesome Brooks running gear right now that is perfect for cold weather runs!  My two favorite running gear brands are Reebok & Brooks.  I have bought other products but these two have been the best quality wise!  I also have a pair of thermal running pants (I got from Buckeye Running Co.) that I'm in love with, they're SO WARM!

I found my groove around mile 4 and felt comfortable taking on some hills.  As I hit mile 7 I was thinking to myself, should I push to 10 miles or just go home at 8?  Sometimes pushing yourself an extra mile is just what you need!

Here I am at mile 9.5 just a half mile from home.

I spend time reading a lot of motivational quotes and encouraging ads from different running companies and Runner's World has become a new favorite magazine.  I can get so inspired and motivated by reading these ads & quotes.  One of my favorite motivational ads out there right now is by Nike it says;

“You pretended the snooze button didn’t exist. You dragged your butt out of bed while others 

slept. While others ate their pancakes you had a feast of protein, glucose and electrolytes. 

You double-knotted. You left the porch light on and locked the door behind you. You ran

5ks, 10ks, 26.2 miles. Some days more, some days less. You rewarded a long run with a 

short run. And a short run with a long run. Rain tried to slow you. Sun tried to microwave you. 

Snow made you feel like a warrior. You cramped. You bonked. You paid no mind to comfort. 

On weekends. On holidays. You made excuses to keep going. Questioned yourself. Played 

mind games. Put your heart before your knees. Listened to your breathing.  Sweat sunscreen 

into your eyes. Worked on your farmers tan. You hit the wall. You went through it. You 

decided to be a man about it. You decided to be a woman about it. Finished what you 

started. Proved what you were made of. Just kept putting mile after mile on your internal 

odometer.”

-------

Do you have a favorite running quote that inspires you?


What's your favorite season to run in?


What is your favorite cold weather running gear?

No comments:

Post a Comment