Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas goodies...

My runs for December have been pretty decent.  The weather's been a bit nutty... 60's, 30's, 50's... really?! Make up your mind! But outside of that, I can't complain!  Beautiful pitch black skies, a beautiful blanket of stars, and a moon that shines crazy bight!  There's something very special about running country roads.

This month I'm giving my body a break and only logging between 20-25 miles/week.  I'm going to enjoy the smaller miles and begin a cross-training program, marathon training kicks into gear January 2.

I'm absolutely LOVING the cross-training program.  It's 35 minutes of tabata style exercises once a week. I really feel challenged & not defeated...plus, I'm sore for 3 days.  I definitely prefer running but like the change up cross-training is bringing to the table.  Hopefully, it will make me a stronger and better runner.

One of our running buddies, Courtney, moved to Toledo last weekend :(  We miss her dearly and look forward to future races and runs with her!  This week was our first week running without her and it definitely wasn't the same.

If you're in the Maineville area and would like to join us for runs, we are always looking for new running buddies!  Doesn't matter your pace, experience, or level... we would love for you to join us, set goals, and crush them!  Message me if you want to join in :)

The last few weeks I've allowed myself to give into sweets... if you know me, you know that sweets are my weakness.  I could honestly eat candy all day long and never get sick of it.  That's disgusting and definitely an issue, I know this :)

My favorite Christmas candies are these two guys...


I am not lying when I tell you that I will knock off a bag in less than 24 hours... I can't stop eating them.  I honestly do not have the will power to stop, I will get sick before stopping.  How silly is that?!  More importantly, how disturbing is that?!  Yikes...

Sometimes I wonder why I enjoy candy so much.  It can become such a comfort in times of celebration, sadness, or boredom.  Removing candy from my diet back in May was the best thing I could have done for myself.  I allowed myself to have "sweets" on Sundays but it was always a healthy amount.  I would never keep it in the house and when I did eat sweets, I could barely finish the serving.

Now that Christmas is here, all my favorite candies are out and I just can't say no to them.  I've got to learn better will power.  I bought one bag of each and told myself they had to last to the end of the year, I was only buying one bag of each...

Let me tell you how well that went over, the bags didn't make it 24 hours.  I'm a mess.  So that's done, no more candy is left in the house and it's so sad.  But I promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore and I'm not.

We've started Elf on the Shelf with our daughter, Savannah.  She turns 4 this month and is all about the Christmas magic.  She definitely got the Christmas gene from me... I love sharing this time with her and creating memories as a family.  She loves waking up every morning and seeing what kind of "trouble" Elfie Rojo got into overnight.  I've enjoyed teaching her Christmas songs, watching our favorite holiday movies, and reading about the manger, Jesus' birth, and the real miracle of Christmas.  The joy & excitement she has is contagious... I just love watching her soak it all in!

With that being said; I've started re-reading a book - Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver.  It's an excellent book that invites us "Martha's" to put aside all the things we are so busied with and enter into "living room" intimacy with Jesus.  As much as I am really enjoying reading it again, it's so convicting.  My heart aches with inadequacy and hungers to have the same "living room intimacy" Mary got with Jesus.

"Our Father desires to share intimacy with us.  
Not because we've earned it, but because he hungers for it."

Reading this book has also uprooted and exposed my battle with Spiritual Pride... ouch.  When I find myself vulnerable at the foot of the cross it's definitely embarrassing and humbling, it hurts to see the ugliness of my heart.  Boy am I thankful for His unconditional love.  I truly desire to have a hunger for intimacy with Jesus because of my love for Him.

Have a great weekend friends!

Have you tried tabata style work outs?  Do you like it?

What cross-training workouts are your favorite?

What's your favorite holiday treat?
  
What is your weakness during the holiday season?

Is there a book that has impacted your life that you enjoy reading over and over?

No comments:

Post a Comment