Sunday, January 6, 2013

It's training time!

January is here and that means 17 weeks until the Flying Pig Marathon!  Training started this week and if you know me, you know nothing makes me more excited than an organized schedule :)  Our first long distance run was this morning.  Sunday runs (aka long distance runs) are my favorite for many reasons but training wise, it is my favorite.  I truly enjoy logging long distance miles.

Many people thought after the Chicago Marathon I'd stop running... are you kidding me?!  I love it way to much to just drop it!  There really is nothing that can replace the feeling you get after a long run!

One of the many things I've learned in my time running and what I consider to be the key to my success as a runner is the importance of friends... friends who don't just love you and support your goals but those who are willing to inspire, push, celebrate, sacrifice, and be with you the entire journey.

During my training for the Chicago Marathon, I was so blessed by the amount of amazing friends who came beside me, supported me with words of encouragement, prayed for me, and those who met me at crazy early morning hours, took on heat, rain, and insane hills to push me and help me meet milestones.

Meet some of my running buddies for the 2013 Flying Pig Marathon...


BJ and Chad are friends I went to school with.  
Chad I've known since elementary school and BJ I met in Jr. High when he moved here.  
These guys have always been great friends!


Chad and BJ (along with many others) were big supporters when I started training for Chicago last summer.  They both slowed down their paces BIG TIME to watch me meet goals that they had achieved years (many, many, years) before me.

BJ and Chad are soccer superstars and super talented... Chad is also crazy fast!  I am very thankful for the years of friendship we have!  I'm also thankful that this time around, for my second marathon, I'm closer to their pace and they don't have to slow down (as much) for me :)

We kicked off our 18 week training strong... our 8 mile run felt great and we even tackled some decent hills.  They are great to have conversations with on the road, know how to make hysterical jokes that will make the run even more difficult, and hearing Chad and BJ trash talk to each other is always a blast!

Here's to another successful training season!

-----

Are you training for anything right now?

Do you still keep in touch with any childhood friends?




No comments:

Post a Comment