Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Our SUPER fun Holiday weekend!

Memorial Day weekend is a lot of fun! 
It's the official kick-off to summer, school is wrapping up, pools are opening, 
and we prepare to spend our days outside until it's dark!

Here's what we've been up to!

Friday- Savannah and I headed over to a friends house... Sara's parents and my parents have been friends for years, some of my fondest childhood memories are with their family!  My sister and Sara's sister would all play together and although there were 6 years between Sara (as the oldest) and myself (as the youngest) we were so good at being creative together!

We went to Sara's house Friday because she homeschools her 3 girls.  Although her girls are much older than Savannah, I definitely look up to her as a homeschooling mom!  This summer I am going to transform our bonus room into Savannah's school room and the more I thought about the transformation the more overwhelmed I found myself.  What do I need and what do I want?!  I immediately thought of Sara and knew she'd have some great insight for me as I prepare myself and Savannah for these first years of homeschooling!

Her daughters- Claire, Evelyn, and Audrey- are so sweet!  They immediately took Savannah under their wings and planned out an exciting afternoon for her!  Savannah was a little shy at first but once we walked into their school room and was introduced to their mice, snake, dog, and homemade terrarium, I knew Savannah was in good hands ;)  Before I knew it, the girls had Savannah rounding up chickens, hanging out with baby bunnies, running through their backyard, creating, building, and using every ounce of her imagination possible.

And if you know Savannah, you know she was in heaven!

I had a pretty amazing childhood.  We lived next to a corn field, woods behind us, and a safe neighborhood.  We would go creek stomping, build forts in the woods, roll down hills, ride our bikes until dusk, and explore what seemed to be such a big world.  I want Savannah to experience that freedom that I did as a kid.  To explore the endless and mysterious woods next door!  To dig in the dirt, play with worms, frogs, and collect insects.  To be covered in grass stains from rolling down hills and have to soak in a warm bath to get the grass stains off her knees.

That is why I love our home in Maineville.  Although we aren't necessarily in the country, we have property and we are surrounded by farm land to explore!  Our backyard is a crawling science experiment and I don't want her to miss out on those adventures!  And she doesn't miss an opportunity for outside adventures!

Saturday-  Chad and I logged 8 miles early Saturday morning!  It was our longest distance since the Marathon and boy did it feel good.  Chad and I hadn't ran together since the marathon so it was so nice to catch up on the last 3 weeks, talk about the Akron Marathon (that's our next marathon, Sept. 28), and as always, the miles were filled with laughter!  I am doing the Hal Higdon 4 week post race training program that starts with a zero week and then slowly brings you up in distance again so you are less likely to get an injury.  It's a great program, I used it after the Chicago Marathon and although I am ITCHING to log longer distances I know following this program is the smartest thing to do!

After logging some miles, we headed to my parents house because they were watching my nieces, Annabelle and Selah while my sister and brother-in-law were in Columbus!

While my mom and dad took Savannah and Annabelle outside to explore....

Meet Charlotte... the toad :)  She was worried Charlotte was lost from her family.

I stayed inside and cuddled up with the ADORABLE Selah and got some baby time :)

Sunday-  We had a cook-out at my in-laws!  We love time with Allan's parents, they live a few minutes from our church, so it's nice to be able to swing by and spend the afternoon with them after church!  They have a beautiful back yard that Savannah loves playing and exploring in!  

Allan's dad is a total goof ball!  He loves photo bombing us ;)

Speaking of church... Sunday, before heading to Allan's parents we finished up the REMNANT Youth Room!  We have been so blessed by our congregation and volunteers who have made our room so awesome!  There are a lot of renovations going on within the church right now, so everything is pretty dusty BUT for the most part... our room is 95% finished!  We have a work day Saturday, June 1st since we go to TWO services and will be having REMNANT now on Sunday mornings @ 10:40 am AND Thursdays @ 7pm!  I am very excited and would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous!  Sunday morning Youth Services are intimidating... I've never had the opportunity to lead Sunday morning Youth Services and I feel so blessed, honored, and somewhat undeserving!  It's completely in the Lord's hands and I just thank Him for how He is moving and making things happen... not just within Remnant but with our church!

Monday  I got up and logged a little over 5 miles at an 8:50 pace!  It felt awesome!  I was pretty pumped during my run because I knew what a fun day we were going to have!

My first stop Monday- Kim and BJ's house to get fitted for my ROAD BIKE!  I am beyond excited and feel so blessed by Kim and BJ!  BJ is my other running buddy BUT he is a cyclist at heart!  His wife has a road bike she doesn't use anymore so he adjusted it a bit so I can start training for my next race, June 30th!  The Tri-Umphant Triathlon!

I'm sure if you lived in BJ's neighborhood and saw me on this bike you were cracking up... It's A LOT different from a regular bike!  I ended up in the grass and almost wrecking because BJ was telling me to shift gears and was riding really close to me! Haha.  It's SO MUCH FUN!  I'm really pumped to start logging miles on this bike!

Monday afternoon we headed to my parents house for a cook-out!  It was such a beautiful day with perfect weather!  We had a blast!









Shakeology

I have successfully completed 2 weeks of the Shakeology Challenge and still have a few more weeks to go!  So far, I'm really enjoying the product, have seen positive results, and can see the benefit of using it on a daily basis.  I cannot complain... I'm pretty impressed with the product!  

My biggest struggle is that afternoon crash... 2pm-5pm!  I drink my shake for lunch and it has helped pull me through that crash!  It has worked well with my running and current training program and has been great accountability for me.  I am also seeing changes in my body, which is always encouraging!

Upcoming Races:
1) Tri-Umphant Triathlon in Mason on June 30th.
2) Akron Marathon on September 28th.


No comments:

Post a Comment