Monday, May 6, 2013

Mile by Mile... My Flying Pig journey!


What an exciting day Sunday was!  To all my friends and family who sent encouraging texts, phone messages, and FB messages... THANK YOU!  All of your prayers and support is felt during the miles!

Saturday Chad and I went to the expo to pick up our bags!  I like going to the expo because you see so many of the runners, upcoming events that are close by, and all kinds of awesome things to buy!  We left the expo and met up with Allan, BJ and his wife Kim for an early dinner at a local Italian hot spot in Mason.  It was my first time going to Pitrelli's and it was great!  Not heavy at all and it couldn't have been more perfect!  We got home early and I was able to fall asleep by 10 pm!

Sunday morning my alarm was scheduled to go off at 3:30 am... I woke up at 3:26 am ready to go!  I was very excited.  There weren't a lot of nerves this time around, I knew I had busted my tail in training so it was mainly about getting into my corral and starting the race!  I was filled with anticipation!

For breakfast I ate 2 pieces of whole wheat toast with grape preserves, 2 bananas, 4 oz. of orange juice, and 8 oz. of gatorade.  I was feeling good!  I grabbed my bags that I packed Saturday and was on my way!

As I drove downtown, I was able to spend some good quiet time in the car with the Lord.  Praying for protection over the event, praying for specific friends who I knew would be running as well, for the rain would hold off (as little rain drops beat my windshield), for strength, protection from injury, and that I would remember to slow down and soak it all up... thanking Him, praising Him, and using my time in running as an act of worship.

I mentioned in earlier posts that this marathon would be different for several reasons.  One of them being that I was completely alone for the entire 26.2 miles.  I did not have a running buddy this race because Chad was ahead trying to PR, BJ was running the 3rd leg of the relay, and Erin was behind me.

For some reason, in all of my preparation, the Lord continually reminded me that I would be alone in this.  That I would have to solely rely on Him to lead me through my lows and rely 100% on him for the Flying Pig.

Starting Corral:

I found a parking spot and headed to my corral.  I was trying to find a port-a-potty because I needed to take a "nervous pee", if you've ever ran any kind of a race, you know what I'm talking about.  Your bladder could be 100% empty but the moment you step in your corral you have to "nervous pee".  I was looking everywhere and there wasn't a port-a-potty anywhere close to me!  WHAT!  So I go up into the corral ahead of me and the line was INSANE long... it's 6:24am at this point, the gun was getting ready to go off!  What was I suppose to do?

Sidebar - My thought process on going to the bathroom during any race/run- I do NOT stop for bathroom breaks, I refuse stop AT ALL!  I have trained my body to go before hand, that way I don't have to stop at all.  As a runner, I know that if I stop, it will throw my pace off and I will not be able to get back into my zone.  It's just something that works for me.

Before taking on 26.2 miles, I wasn't about to NOT use the bathroom.  So I waited... and waited... and waited... EVERY SINGLE runner and walker had crossed over the start line and there I was waiting to use a flipping port-a-potty!  UGH!

My anxiety kicked in and I thought...

"Welp, there goes my plan for negative splits!"

I finally got to pee and as I was walking towards the start line, I noticed the clean up crew around me... they'd already started cleaning up, I was completely at the end of the pack!  It was 7am... THIRTY MINUTES AFTER THE RACE STARTED!


Mile 1:  There I was, a single runner with not a soul around me...  At one point, I didn't even know if I was taking the correct route!  I was looking for the signs that said; "official route" so I knew I was right.  As I hit the half mile mark I saw some walkers... that was great!  Here I am, crossing over mile one and there's already 45 minutes on the clock!  Ugh!  Thankfully, your official time doesn't start until you cross the start line, so I had to deduct a half hour in my head off the clock so I knew what my time would be.  I had started my run keeper, so that was helping me keep track of everything, too!

It was in that panic of starting ALONE... seriously, I was expecting a tumbleweed to blow by... the Lord gently reminded me, "Remember it's just me and you today!"

Mile 2:  I finally caught up with the back pack of the runner/walker group.  Here I passed a group of amazing men and women walking with handicap students.  Their shirts read "FIRST TIME MARATHONER" and their aids were walking with them, encouraging them, speaking verbal affirmation over them, and supporting them by holding their hands.  It was such a sweet moment to see.

Mile 3:  I've never been a runner that says "on your left" because I never pass people.  Unfortunately, I was dodging, weaving in and out of walkers every 15 seconds or so and trying to politely say; "On your left!"  Squeezing through middle sections of people, going up onto the sidewalk, and doing my best to catch up with the 5 hour finishing group!

Mile 4:  As we headed back into Cincinnati, I took my first GU.  I knew this would be important as I prepared myself for the hills.  It was in this mile I had to regroup, refocus, and ask the Lord to calm my nerves.  I was a mess!  I was behind!  I didn't even know what my pace was...

Batman was on the corner, so I ran over and got a high five from him.

Mile 5:  We came to 7th Street and I noticed a woman pushing a stroller... It was a BIG running stroller!  I thought to myself, that's insane, I can't believe she's pushing a baby for a full marathon!  As I came up beside her and looked in her stroller, I noticed she was pushing her 12 year old handicap son.  He was clearly overwhelmed with excitement, joy and, bliss!  His hands were in fists, he had them raised high over his head, clapping, and shouting "HORRAY!  HORRAY!"  I looked in the back of her stroller and noticed all of his breathing equipment, medications, cords, and then saw her.  A mom who couldn't have been more excited to be giving this gift to her son!

Tears pouring down my cheeks, I put my hand on her shoulder and said; "Thank you!  What a blessing you are... you are an inspiration!" and had to take off.  I couldn't breathe, I was so overwhelmed with emotions and still cry thinking about what selflessness I saw in her.

After allowing myself to soak that in, it was time to take on the hill climb.

Mile 6:  And the climb began!  This is when those dreaded hills I was warned about begin... the ones I trained so hard for.  The ones that were going to kill my legs, burn so badly I would never want to run the race again, and be a total mental beating.  As I climbed up Gilbert Ave, I had controlled breathing, steady pace, and felt so good.  I was in my groove.

I looked to my side, and there was my sweet friend, Jen!  We were going to meet up before the start to pray and wish each other good luck but my bathroom incident didn't let that happen.  It was perfect timing!  It was such a great encouragement to see her, get some conversation in, get my mind off the hills, and climb with a friend!

Mile 7:  As I passed Krohn Conservatory I realized the hills were over... I realized I wasn't out of breath, I realized my legs were NOT shot, I realized I hadn't broken my pace!  I had conquered those hills, all those Saturdays and Sundays of hill training paid off!  I felt GREAT as we headed in Eden Park and got a fabulous shot of the city!

Jen was running the half, so I went ahead of her and wished her the best!

Mile 8:  It hit me, the bad hills are done.  Only rolling hills are left!  Enjoy this... soak it up!  As we headed to Woodburn Ave. the half marathoners were splitting from the full marathoners.  It was then I saw just how many half marathoners I had been running with.  The majority of the people around me were no longer there.  It got a little quiet.

Then I heard a cow bell and someone yelling my name... it was my cousin Ericka and her family!  Oh what a sweet, sweet surprise!

Mile 9:  As I began to climb a slow hill on Madison Rd.  I realized how quiet things had gotten.  There wasn't much around me.  The small, completely random rain drops were becoming more frequent and the spectators were starting to thin out.

I remember Jen telling me how exciting and awesome the crowds in Hyde Park Square are so I was really excited about getting into that part of town.  But as we ran Madison, I tried to be still and soak it all in.

I got my first High Five from the "Free High Five Guy" and there was another guy this year "Fist bump guy" with him.  I felt honored to have gotten a high five from such a famous spectator!

Mile 10:  The homes were just beautiful as we prepared to enter Hyde Park Square.  I looked to my left and saw a Catholic Hospital with an elderly man, all bundled up, who had his nurses wheel him out in his bed all stationed nicely on the side of the road in the grass.  His head and little hand were the only thing uncovered... but he was cheering the best he could, nurses by his side, holding signs and cheering as well.

Talk about a humbling race so far...

Mile 11:  Just as Jen had said, Hyde Park Square was full of hipster friends cheering us on!  Great music, good support, and lots of dogs!  I wouldn't expect anything less from that community of people! It was welcoming and warm!  A lot of energy was felt and was a great boost to get me to my half-marathon distance!

Mile 12:  A big shout out and thank you to the guys in the middle of Marburg Ave. who had cut up orange slices and were handing them out!  Seriously, THANK YOU!  That made mile 12 memorable!  An orange never tasted so good!

Mile 13:  We followed Erie Ave. where I clocked in at 2:09 for my half marathon time.  My body felt great!  I was 100% in my groove and felt awesome physically but mentally I was really hoping to see a familiar face.  Although I was halfway done, I still had 13.1 miles and I really just wanted to see a friend.  Not that I didn't appreciate all of the people who came out to support me but I was just wanting someone on the sidelines who I knew, who I loved, and could get some encouragement from.

Mile 14:  As I prepared to enter into Mariemont, I was excited... this was another area I head awesome things about!  I could hear the crowd cheering but mile 14 was lonely.  I didn't have a lot of people around me and I couldn't figure out where my friend Erin was.

As I mentioned, I started in the VERY BACK of the race... I knew what she was wearing but couldn't find her.  Was she ahead of me?  So mile 14, not going to lie, I started feeling sorry for myself. HA.  I just couldn't figure out how I missed running past Erin!

Mile 15:  We entered into the back of Mariemont where the crowd was just awesome!  I grabbed a water bottle from a group, I was desperate.  Although it wasn't terribly hot, it was humid and the light sprinkle was much more steady.

I passed this AMAZING house that had an awesome party going!  They were all dressed in their PJ's and wearing pink!  Pink balloons and streamers, even pig balloons in their yard!  It was so over-the-top!  Awesome!

Mile 15 was a spot that I was anticipating seeing some friends who live in the area, I wasn't sure if they would be there but I was really hoping I would see a face that would help kick me to mile 20!  But no luck... I was bummed.

Mile 16:  Just as I turned into Mile 16, I saw a friend of our family, Sandy!  I yelled her name and she gave me a big smile and wave!  Oh that's just what I needed...

Then I saw another family friend, so I yelled out; "Dr. Lehenbauer!"  And he gave me a big smile, wave and yelled; "Hillary, I'm so proud of you!"

Ahhhh, tears... Thank you, Lord!  When all I needed was just one face to encourage me, He blessed me with 2 great family friends to bring me out of that ho-hum slump!

The last part of mile 16 was on a bike trail, the Cincinnati SWAT team was up on a hill and they were cheering and waving their guns in the air; "Go Hillary, Go Hillary!" (btw: my name was on my shirt)   It made me feel safe and nervous laugh... good to know they've got my back ;)

Sidebar - speaking of security - They had the route jam packed with security.  Although I was never once worried about my safety.  There was no fear, no anxiety, no worry whatsoever about safety.  I felt 100% safe.

Mile 17:  We came out into a neighborhood off the bike trail and went up a pretty decent size hill before turning onto Wooster Pike.  It was somewhat discombobulating but when I saw BIG BOY, I knew exactly where I was at!

And the rain became steady...

Mile 18:  Columbia Parkway... oooohhhh... how dreary, lonely, and depressing you were.  It was at mile 18  I officially hit my wall.  The rain was coming down, my knees locked up, and I took my 2 extra strength tylenol.  Mile 18 felt like 3 miles... sadly, it was only one mile.

Mile 19:  As we took the ramp off Columbia Pkwy onto Eastern Ave. I started praying, the cramping in my right knee was so bad.  My socks started feeling mushy from the rain and I was alone.  There were a handful of runners around me but not many.  I was pacing well, hadn't lost much time and thought about walking but instead just asked the Lord to remove the cramp and carry me through this last 10k distance.

I was about to enter the homestretch...  I was not going to stop or give up!

Mile 20:  Mentally the most difficult of the race.  This mile was the hardest.  My mind was saying stop but my body refused.  I continued asking the Lord to help me finish the distance.  I began praying over my knee, for the cramp to disappear.

Mile 21: As the knee cramping started to go away I started feeling the miles in my ankles.  Ugh.  I was overwhelmed with defeat and in that moment my song switched over to "I Belong to You" by Jesus Culture.

Within the first verses "With just a simple thought of who You are. Let Your light shine in the darkest parts"


  
Instead of praying for Him to remove the uncomfortable cramping and pain, I began praising Him for how wonderful our journey had been so far!  Rejoicing over getting ready to finish another marathon and the blessings of sending friends on the sidelines to encourage and bless me!

Mile 22:  The last part of the race, Riverside Dr.  This is the road that would take me to the finish line!  I was almost there!  My legs and ankles went numb and I entered my zone.

Mile 23:  I heard people yelling; "HILLARY!"  It was Erin's entire family, who are just amazing!!  There they were in the pouring rain, cheering, shouting, and encouraging me to push to the finish line.

Here are the pictures Erin's husband, Mark was able to snap of me... you can see how happy I was to see them!




They reminded me I was just 3.2 miles away from the finish line!  To push, dig deep, and head home!

Mile 24:  I honestly don't remember much about this mile, I believe I had entered a zone and was so focused on finishing it just went by so fast... I forced myself to keep the same pace, to not back down.

Mile 25:  Still focused on finishing... my body had given out and quit but the Lord had taken over and was in control.  I kept repeating Psalm 73:26

Mile 26:  There is was, the most glorious sign I'd ever seen MILE 26... and then a sign soon after that said .2 miles left!

Finish:  and there it was, the Finish Swine!  I have no idea what happened but my body clicked over and I had no control over my speed.  I got hit with a HUGE burst of energy, my legs and arms stared moving so fast... like I wasn't in my body!  In my head I was yelling, "you're going to fall, slow down, slow down, SLOW DOWN!" and as I crossed over the finish line the announcer leaned in, patted my shoulder, and said; "Nice sprint to the finish!

I still have no clue what happened to my body! haha!

As I looked at the clock, I had not only accomplished my first goal of successfully completing the Flying Pig Marathon BUT I beat my Chicago time... by 27 MINUTES!

Online Results - Bib # 2548

What a sweet victory it was as I grabbed my medal and began processing, crying, and soaking in that moment!  On my way through the finishing area I found Chad and BJ, it was so great to celebrate with my friends!

After the race with my running buddies - Chad and BJ!  
So proud of them and happy to celebrate!

 With my "sole sister" Erin!  She is not only a FIRST TIME MARATHONER but beat her goal and finished in 5 hours 11 minutes!  So very proud of this girl!

 Celebrated my victory with Blue ice cream from Whipty-Do!  
Couldn't think of a better celebratory treat ;)


This race was definitely different from Chicago!  This Marathon was way more mental for me than I ever could have anticipated...plus the steady rain for the last 10 miles!  I am so happy I ran it, accomplished another marathon and was able to PR.  God is so good and I love that He allows me to experience His strength and joy through running!

A BIG thank you to my running buddies:  Chad, BJ, Erin, and Deanna!  They have pushed me far beyond what I could have ever imagined!  

So this week is a "zero week" where I rest and allow my muscles and body to rest.  Then tri-athlon training starts for the mini-tri on June 30th!  I'll keep you posted in my cycling skills ;)  It should be an interesting training!

"I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me!"
~Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment