Thursday, May 2, 2013

Flying Pig Countdown!


The Flying Pig is the ONE marathon I told myself I would NOT run... and here I am, 2.5 days away from running it!  The level of difficultly in training has been a tough journey; choosing the hilly route over the flat route, 5:45 am brutal winter runs, rain, wind... it's been a tough training program, but what an accomplishment the Flying Pig will be.  I committed to this marathon and in a couple days I'll be standing in my home town of Cincinnati, in a corral with thousands of runners, looking 26.2 miles in the face, ready to take on my second marathon.

This Saturday, I log my final distance (2 miles) before Sunday's race.  It's definitely a weird feeling, only running 2 miles... my body is like, whoa... what are you doing?!  But I can feel my muscles resting and preparing for Sunday and that is a very good thing!

Where's my head at?!

Several friends and family have asked where my head is at for this marathon.  I don't know if those "nerves" and feelings before a race ever go away... that feeling of OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT HAVE I DONE?!  It still doesn't seem real and probably won't until I hit the expo Saturday!  Good thing is, I know what's coming, I'm prepared, I'm trained, I'm fueled... and now, it's all about mental preparation and good food choices.

This race will definitely be different... I don't have a running buddy next to me this time for the entire 26.2 miles!  My awesome sister-in-law, who I ran Chicago with sent me this FABULOUS "Flying Pig" and note to encourage me...


Running this marathon will not be the same without her!  I know she will be there in spirit, cheering me on!

My awesome running buddies that I train with unfortunately will not be by my side:
-Chad is going for a PR, so he will be way ahead of me.
-BJ is running the relay (hopefully I will see him somewhere on the road)
-Erin is running her first marathon and is a few minutes behind me.

It's just me and the Lord on this one and I keep giving myself pep talks... seriously!

Looking in the mirror, telling myself - You can do this!  Your legs are strong!  Your mind is strong! You will not give up!  You will not walk!  You will push, sacrifice, sweat, cry, and feel an ache that burns but it will be a glorious finish, where God will be honored and glorified.

There's a lot of prayer, but that's been going on the entire training.  Thanking Him for protecting me from injury, for good health, for matching my stride, being my strength, and allowing me to have the endurance to push through and finish every milestone.

It's true, there is no way I could ever do this in my own strength.

I read a lot of inspirational running quotes and one of them said break your marathon into 3rds -

"Run the first part run with your head
The middle part run with your personality
The last part run with your heart."

That's definitely great advice... the last part of the race can be so very difficult.  After taking on hills for the first half- I'm prepared for my legs to be shot.  Thankfully, it's not my strength but His that will pull me across that finish line!

So this is what I'm thinking... my game plan for the marathon!

-Negative splits:  because the first half of the marathon is extremely hilly and difficult, I'm going to slow my pace down big time!  I'm going to run the first half of the marathon at a jog, about a 10:30/10:45 min pace.  That way when I get to the hills, I will have saved energy and have strength to take them on without my legs feeling completely shot for the rest of the distance.  Even if I am unable to complete the negative splits, if I keep steady at a 10:30/10:45 even 11 minute pace, I will still hit my goal.

-GU:  I plan on using my first GU at mile 4.5- right before the hills start so there is some energy to complete the hills at a comfortable pace without feeling exhausted.  And then just listening to my body on when to use the rest of them.

-Water/Gatorade stops:  I plan on drinking at almost every water stop but running through them.  I will not walk.

-Half Marker- once I hit the half mile marker, I will hopefully have the strength to change pace as I feel comfortable.

GOAL - I am definitely not trying to PR or be super woman!

When trying to think of a goal, I wanted something that would challenge me but also didn't want to set myself up for failure.  As I said before, these marathons are completely different!

So here are my goals:

1)  Finish the Flying Pig :)

and if possible...

2) Beat my Chicago Marathon time of 4:53:26 (11:11 minute pace)

I realize goal #2 may not happen and I am fine with that.  I just want to successfully cross that finish line!  I have to remember this is a different race and I want to enjoy it as much as I did Chicago!

But there is a side of me that thinks - If Chicago was one of the easier marathons and the Flying Pig one of the most difficult- beating my Chicago time would be such a victory ;)

My play list:

A lot of people ask what music I listen to when I run... funny because it's a total mash up of things.

To help control my pace, since I'll be so excited at the start, I'm going to have slower music for the first half of the marathon, then around mile 14 speed it up a bit, and by mile 17/18 (when I typically hit my wall) throw in some "GET YOUR BUTT IN GEAR" music that will pump me up...

-Bon Iver
-City And Color
-Ryan Adams
-Hillsong United
-As Tall as Lions
-Band of Horses
-Ray Lamontagne
-Manchester Orchestra
-Kings of Convenience
-Expolsions In The Sky
-James Blake
-Lydia
-All Sons & Daughters
-Kim Walker
-Jesus Culture
-Bethel Worship
-Daylight Worship
-Death Cab for Cutie
-Elevation Worship
-John Mayer
-Kari Jobe
-Mumford & Sons
-Josh Garrels
-MGMT
-Phillip Phillips
-New Life Worship
-Family Force 5
-Mutrix
-Kelly Clarkson
-Needtobreathe
-Skrillex
-Third Eye Blind
-Katy Perry

It's quite a mix.

What's next for 2013?!

Don't worry, I will still be running and training for a marathon this fall but I'm going to change my training a bit because I am attempting my FIRST mini-tri on June 30th.

The Mason Tri-Umphant Tri-athlon- A 400 meter pool swim, followed by a 20k bike, and closing with a 5k run.  Don't worry, my fearless running buddies, Chad and BJ will be leading the way, as this won't be their first mini-tri ;)

Yes, I am so thankful for the years of friendship with these guys!  They are great and I'm thankful that they are so much better than me.  They challenge, push, and encourage me to reach goals I never thought were possible.

Allan isn't quite sure what to think of all of these races and training programs.  He often says; "I don't even know you anymore!"  HA!  He is my #1 supporter and believes in me!  He is amazing... standing for hours at races, getting up early to get me to races, and supporting that my love for high fashion clothing has turned into a love for new running clothes and running shoes! I wouldn't be where I'm at in training, with my health, and as an athlete if it weren't for him!

Transformation-

For the last 17 months I've not just been busting my butt in training, running 5 days a week, but in the kitchen as well!  My entire view on food has changed.  Food is now fuel to keep me going, it gives me strength for endurance, and I have a completely different understanding of what I put into my body!

Don't get me wrong, I still love my sweets but it's in moderation!

On the right: my heaviest point (August 2010 - 188 lbs.)
On the left at the healthiest I've ever been (April 2013 - 146 lbs.)

                                                                    04/13                                  08/10
Although my weight loss and running journey didn't begin until January 2012, I carried the weight of 180-188lbs with me up until I made the decision to get healthy in January 2012.

Weight wise, I am 100% where I need to be and it feels so great!  Now, it's time to focus on becoming stronger and muscle definition.

So...

Here's to an amazing marathon weekend in Cincinnati, Ohio!  Thank you to all my friends and family who are praying, encouraging, and lifting me up this weekend!  I am so thankful for your support and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment