Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Perspective...


This weekend, Chad and I wrapped up our final long distance run in training for The Flying Pig... we logged our last 20 miles before the marathon and get to enjoy tapering for the next 19 days.  The 20 miles were a lot better than the 12 in Dayton last week, mainly because we were in my territory and running a route that was familiar.

At mile 18.4 I was spent, I had ran out of water (seems to be a trend with me), was feeling dizzy, and was struggling to push home.  My awesome running buddy and sweet friend Erin, found Chad and I and stopped to encourage and cheer us on.  She also gave me some water and pushed us home to the 20 mile marker.  I'm so thankful for her encouragement and support, it was just what I needed!

I will head back up to Dayton on Sunday to take on the 12 mile route that totally kicked my butt last week... my promise to myself - you will survive and conquer that route!

It's hard to believe the Flying Pig is less than 3 weeks away - but it is and it's time to taper, baby!  What's tapering you ask?!  It's a pretty simple concept, run less so you're rested for race day.  Since we're approx. 3 weeks out from the marathon my mileage cuts down about 50% this 3rd week, 60-70% in the 2nd week, and 80-90% the last week.  Tapering is so much fun, you keep the intensity of your runs but don't log nearly as many miles.  So your body and muscles are able to rest, store up those carbs, and get ready for the big day!   With tapering, because you're resting and not logging the amount of miles you have been use to... by race day, you are so bored with sitting around that you are bursting at the seams to get out there and race!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about the Flying Pig.  Going into my second marathon I have trained and done everything in my control so now, it's me handing this next race over to Him knowing there is no possible way I will be able to do this without His perfect strength carrying me, matching my stride, and pushing me.



I've learned A LOT in my 16 months of running, one of those things being how amazing the running community is.  You may not know a lot of runners but because you run, you're part of a dynamic group that has your back.  The running community is so supportive of one another... if you've read anything in regards to the events at Boston you've learned just how united runners are.  Doesn't matter your pace, when you started running, how many races you've ran, how many medals you have... we are a tight knit community!

From the moment the Elite Runners started, I was getting updates on my phone... Although I will never qualify for such a prestigious race, Boston is a dream for so many runners!  There is such respect, love, and support for those athletes that qualify and have the honor of running such a race.  Once the news broke about the bombings, I couldn't stop watching and reading...

Allan immediately said; "I wonder what this will do to the security for the Flying Pig... and by the way, you're not running it!"

At first, there was some fear... watching the news and reading the updates my heart was definitely overwhelmed with anxiety and fear for my next race.  As I was headed to bed, I thought about not running in the morning... I had been up late looking at pictures, watching news, and reading articles...  but before falling asleep, I laid in bed and scrolled through FB and the outpouring of encouragement from all the running blogs I followed was just awesome!  My fellow runners doing what they do best, encouraging and inspiring every other runner to keep on running!

It's such an honor to be part of the running community!  The greatest thing is all of the uplifting news going on in spite of this tragedy.  I encourage you to read this article and if you haven't heard of Bill Iffrig, you need to know about this runner!  In a time of just feeling overwhelmed from the weight of this world, I was encouraged.

5:15 am my alarm went off but this morning my mindset for my morning run was a bit different.  Not only am I in the final phase of marathon training but I had a new perspective on running.  I threw on my Chicago Marathon shirt, in honor of Boston, and ran my 5 miles.


And as He always does, the Lord was waiting...ready to go! I clicked into autopilot before my half mile marker, ready to be still and listen...

He comforted me and let me know it was ok for me to feel overwhelmed, scared, nervous, and angry... then quickly removed those feelings with an overflowing of scripture reminding me of His perfect grace, His perfect peace, and His perfect plan for my life.  To not be distracted by what is going on in the world but to keep my eyes only on Him.  To not be overwhelmed or worried but focused on Him.

What happened in Boston is tragic.  I am so thankful for a Savior who is in control and ready to comfort me in times that feel so out of control.




No comments:

Post a Comment