Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A few firsts...

We've had some crazy weather lately and last week I was forced to run on the treadmill for the first time...ever!  I was so nervous, thankfully a great friend let me use hers so I didn't have to go to the gym and completely humiliate myself. 

First of all, Vicki's set up is AWESOME!  I couldn't have asked for a better place to run.  The treadmill was right in front of the tv, in a super nice finished basement, and Savannah was able to hang out and run around.  It was really ideal.  I was hoping I would LOVE it, get a treadmill for our basement, and be hooked.  I can hear you laughing... I know, high hopes.

Let me tell you how much I suffered on the treadmill.  It was terrible. Ugh, my knees and back were killing me, sweat was flying everywhere, and I promise you TIME STOOD STILL!  


Where was my fresh air?  Where was the breeze?  Where was the scenery?  I felt so unmotivated, very unchallenged, and just bored.   Thankfully, I logged my 6 miles and survived.  To those of you who run on the treadmill, I admire you!  What an ability and gift you have!

Shy of the treadmill experience, marathon training has been going great!  I've braved freezing weather, brutal winds, and early mornings!  I've had my gatorade freeze in it's bottle, gu become so thick in the cold air that I can barely get it out of the container, and have my hat and hair covered in frost.  Pretty crazy!  It's in this last week though, I've got to see first hand the benefits of braving the wicked winter and how it's made me a stronger runner!

Chad and I logged 6 miles Saturday and 9 miles Sunday - we finished both with an 8:40 pace!  WHAT THE?!  Sunday's weather was nice, it was high 30's low 40's and I totally over dressed for it (I'm still trying to figure out the whole layering thing).  My muscles were nice and warm but I would be lying if I said I wasn't feeling the burn and push in my body.  That was the first time I've ran at that pace for a long distance.  It was definitely a push!

Running alone is great quiet time, I really enjoy it but there's something awesome about finding a running buddy that challenges you in constant conversation while running, it's great!  Conversation not only challenges your breathing and pace but completely sets your abs on fire!

And it never fails,  in that last mile I watch Chad slowly break away from me and push to finish strong... Ugh, why does he have to do that?!  It makes me so mad!

So with less than a mile left, I tell my body to shut up (the burning in my abs, legs, arms, butt...) and I push to the finish.  AND IT FEELS AMAZING!


This week our training takes it up a notch - Sunday is 14 miles and I'm pretty excited!

I often get told that I'm insane for all the running, race goals, early morning runs, and braving the cold weather!  I honestly love running and when I saw this I thought it was perfect!


------

Do you enjoy running on the treadmill?

What sets a fire in you to push in that last mile?

What upcoming race are you training for?







No comments:

Post a Comment