Monday, March 10, 2014

Daddy Daughter Team!

Within the last year, my dad has been bit by marathon bug!  He was a runner several years before I picked it up but stuck to shorter distances...

For those of you who do not know my dad's story here's a short recap - 

Easter weekend, 2007 my dad suffered a massive heart attack and was not expected to live.  Both my sister and I were engaged at the time, the heart attack was out of the blue, and the whole thing was a complete blur.  What I do remember is being in the hallway of the ER, curled up in a ball crying, hearing my mother screaming at the doctors to "try again!"  I remember them calling us into a room to say our final words... my sister, mother, and I around his head... praying over him and hearing my mom say; "God is not finished with you yet!" It was quite the whirlwind of emotions and moments.  Within seconds doctors were yelling his heart was stable and they were rushing him into surgery...

My dad is a miracle and should not be here with us today!  I am so thankful the Lord intervened and healed my father, giving him more time here to walk me down the isle, be Savannah's Poppie, and my favorite running buddy.

Post heart attack, dad became a fitness guru and focused on strengthening his heart and managing his heart disease.

Fast forward to 2013- mom and dad came to my 3rd Marathon - Akron, and dad fell in love!  He said he was READY to take the journey!  So he hopped in on mile 23 and helped me finish the Akron Marathon... he felt the energy from the crowd, the spirit of the marathon, the POWER of the run and now he is addicted :)

We've been running local 5k & 10k's over the last few months and wanted to train this winter for a Spring Marathon.  If you're in Cincinnati, the Polar Vortex has absolutely KILLED any dreams of getting a Spring Marathon in and I was in a car accident which also killed any dreams of getting a Spring Marathon... 

 Last year, I ran the Mini Heart Half Marathon in honor of my dad and as prep for the Flying Pig Marathon.  The Mini Heart Half Marathon is an awesome race that The American Heart Association organizes in honor of those who have passed and survive heart disease, they raise money for research and promote awareness.  It's a great organization but a pretty brutal running route.

This year I was hoping to avoid the Mini Heart Half because it's a tough route... After Akron I said I was taking a break from running...ha!

Then my dad asked if I would run with him...

How could I tell him no?!

Sunday morning, dad and I will be lacing our running shoes up and taking on dad's FIRST Half Marathon - The Mini Heart Half!  I'm so excited for him... this race is perfect, it's to honor him as a survivor!  Our 5k & 10k races have been really special and he enjoys them so much!  As a runner, there is nothing more exciting than race morning, he "gets it"... This is our thing.

I've always had a wonderful relationship with my dad, he truly is so special.  I admire, respect, love, and cherish him.  He is full of Grace, Compassion, and Mercy.  He is a teacher, he serves my mother, our family, and so many others.  He is a man of God, full of integrity, and everyone that encounters him is touched by him.  

He is a miracle.
He is a surviver.
He is my dad.

We are a daddy/daughter team and crossing that finish line at 13.1 miles TOGETHER is going to be pretty special.  

No comments:

Post a Comment